Deaf and deaf blind awareness
In the UK one in six people have some degree of hearing loss, that’s about 10 million, this means that you are likely to come into daily contact with people who are partially or totally deaf.
If you are looking for a basic knowledge of communication issues affecting deaf and Deaf blind people, then Level 1 Award in Deaf Awareness and Communication is for you.
Level 1 Award in Deaf Awareness and Communication
• This qualification is designed to provide introductory knowledge and skill for enhancing communication with deaf people.
• To achieve the full Level 1 Award in Deaf Awareness and Communication, learners are required to achieve two units.
• Unit K101 is the theory unit and Unit T101 is the practical unit they can be taken in any order and can be achieved separately.
• The following table details the recommended learning hours required to achieve this qualification.
• Guided learning hours include assessment time.
• Additional study hours include private study, homework, practice, etc.
• Deaf Positives Action will deliver this qualification over agreed timescales.
No previous experience of British Sign Language or knowledge is needed.
Level 1 Award in Deaf Awareness and Communication is suitable for those who:
• wish to acquire basic knowledge of how deafness and deaf blindness affect communication;
• wish to acquire basic skills to facilitate basic communication with deaf people.
On completion of Signature Level 1 Award in Deaf Awareness and Communication, a range of further qualifications are available, including:
• Level 2 Award in Communicating with Deafblind People
• Level 2 Award in Communicating and Guiding Skills with Deafblind People
• Level 1 Award in British Sign Language
Interested? Please complete and submit the form below.